Cairn are one of Scotland’s leading housing associations, providing tenants with a selection of high quality, affordable properties across 24 different local authorities. We offer five different types of properties to meet a wide selection of needs and support requirements. These range from general needs properties, available to anyone over the age of 16, through to accommodation specifically aimed at those 50 and above which include amenity, retirement, sheltered and extra care.
What is sheltered housing?
Our sheltered flats are designed specifically with older people in mind. They are available to anyone over the age of 60, or 55 with a medical condition. They allow tenants to retain as much independence as they want, while having the peace of mind that comes with living in a community of like-minded individuals. Cairn offer sheltered housing in five towns across Scotland: Blairgowrie, Galashiels, Perth, Rutherglen and Sanquhar.
Here are some reasons why sheltered housing may be right for you:
- Freedom – sheltered housing is flexible, allowing you to live as independently or privately as you desire with the comfort of knowing help or a friendly face is nearby.
- Hassle free – property repairs, maintenance of communal areas, garden upkeep and window cleaning are all taken care for you by our care and repair team. On average it takes us just 1.3 hours to complete a repair!
- Safety – with secure door entry systems, Sheltered Housing Service Managers, emergency alarm systems and living amidst a community of neighbours, sheltered housing can provide a sense of reassurance.
- Communal areas – lounges, gardens and laundry facilities can be a great way to see a familiar face or make friends and socialise with people like-minded people of a similar age.
- Affordability – as a social landlord and charity, Cairn believe everyone should have access to high quality affordable homes.
- Adaptations – our sheltered properties are designed specifically to create safe and secure environments with features such as hand rails, non-slip flooring, easily accessible light switches and sockets.
- A landlord who cares – Cairn is a charity that operate with the interests of tenants, rather than profit, at the heart of everything we do. Your rent is filtered back into Cairn to continue to improve our services.
- A landlord who is easy to contact – through our self-service portal, My Cairn, it is incredibly easy and safe to pay your rent, report repairs and get in touch with us amongst other features.
How can I apply?
There are three ways to apply for our properties: directly with us, through the common housing register or through a nomination agreement with the local authority. Which route you take will depend on the local authority area you want to live in. For further information on this please see: https://www.cairnha.com/find-home/how-to-apply/.
How can I find out more?
If you would like to find out more about our sheltered housing you can contact us via webchat which you will find at the bottom right of the page, give us a call on 0800 990 3405, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out an online enquiry form.